Georgia Dance Conservatory (formerly Ruth Mitchell Dance Theatre) was founded in 1956 by the late Ruth Mitchell, an Atlanta dance pioneer. Ms. Ruth set the standard for dance training in Atlanta with the best instruction, exemplary performances, and the highest standard of technique. Later, Ruth Mitchell moved the studio to downtown Marietta on the Marietta Square where Georgia Dance Conservatory resides today. In 1999 ownership of the studio was entrusted to Lisa and Billy Toups to continue the legacy of Ruth Mitchell.
In 2019, Ashleigh Whitworth and Gray Stoner, two former students of Ms. Ruth and Ms. Lisa, became the owners. They have continued the highest standard of instruction set by Ms. Ruth over 60 years ago.